The conflict between the US and Iran seemed to escalate in recent days. Now, the US Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan said.
After the fierce threatening gestures between the US and Iran, both sides again strike softer tones. “It’s not about going to war,” US Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan said Tuesday (local time) in Washington. “It’s about deterrence – not about war.” He emphasized, “We do not want the situation to escalate.”
Shanahan and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had previously briefed Members of the House of Representatives and the Senate on the situation in conflict with Iran.
US President Donald Trump had warned Tehran over the weekend with drastic words against an escalation and threatened the country with annihilation. “If Iran wants to fight, that will be the official end of Iran. Never again threaten the United States! “Trump wrote on Twitter on Sunday.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammed Jawad Sarif responded on Twitter on Monday that “economic terrorism and genocidal taunts” would not lead to an end to Iran. Sarif warned Trump against threatening Iranians and asked him to respect it.
The conflict escalated for days
In an interview with US broadcaster CNN, Sarif accused the US on Tuesday of conducting an economic war against his country and playing a “very dangerous game”. He also emphasized: “Iran has no interest in an escalation.” Sarif said, “We will not be the ones to escalate. But we will defend ourselves. »